Thursday, 12 May 2016

I'm a Mum. And Working.

I'm a Mum and I'm working.

Not just working and being Mummy in isolation from each other.

But, because I'm a primary school teacher, I am a Mummy and a teacher all the time. I am always nurturing my own children. And when I'm working, I'm nurturing other people's children.

And when I am working I am teaching other people's children. But when I'm at home, I am also teaching my own children.

They are intertwined in a way I could never have understood before having children. My role of teacher has taken on a much higher value since having my own children. I feel honoured that other people are putting their child's education, development and well being in my hands every day. They are trusting me to stand in for them when they are not with their children.

When I reflect on what this means to me as a parent, I am almost floored by the level of trust they have in me.

And I feel the responsibility but I also accept it with enthusiasm and an eagerness to prove I'm a very safe pair of hands.

If you're a teacher you will know what I mean when I say this; I really care deeply about the children  I teach. Not just about how they learn academically. But how they develop as people - socially and personally, above everything else.

Because of this, I've written quite a few blog posts on the importance of my job and things I want people to know about it and I have a whole category on my blog devoted to 'Being Teacher'. I wrote a letter to the parents of my new class back in September. I also wrote an open letter to Nicky Morgan about my concerns as a parent and teacher regarding the recent SATs debacle at primary level. And I wrote a post on the day of a National strike organised by the wonderful parent movement Let Kids Be Kids. But it's not all serious and mushy ;) I also wrote a post highlighting the signs of a teacher-parent which got a lot of teacher-parent love on Facebook.

Recently though (Monday), I wrote a post to the Department for Education on Facebook as me, not as a blogger, which currently (Thursday) stands at 1.1k likes and 450+ shares. These numbers are rising every few minutes. This is an unprecedented number of likes and shares for a post which was essentially just me speaking from the heart as a parent and a teacher about the state of education in this country.

When the likes calm down and I have a more realistic idea of how many people agree with me, I intend to write a blog post. Because for the thousand plus who agree with me there are a few who disagree. Who believe my reaction and my post was over-the-top and unnecessary.

And I want to address those disagreements when I feel they are in their totality.

Because, as I politely told one of them in the comments, I will not stop 'moaning' as a parent, or a teacher, until I feel the children I raise and the children I teach are given the best education possible.

Look out for this post coming soon (presumably - the SATs topic will only be relevant for so long so I'm expecting the likes to calm down soon - my notifications are off the scale - how do people cope if they go viral?! I'm barely keeping up with a few likes and shares.)

The same day that I posted my DfE post, I received an email to say I'd been shortlisted for an award by Mum and Working. It was very fitting. The day I had defended the children in my care (both at home and at work) was the day someone was recognising that I was maybe doing a good job at raising and educating both.

If you think I am doing, even an adequate job at both (!) then I'd love for you to vote for me in the Working Parent Blogger Award category.

Simply click the picture below and it'll take you straight to the website where you can vote.

Thank you if you do. It means a lot. As a teacher. As a blogger. As a parent. But mostly as all three.

http://www.mumandworking.co.uk/Awards/vote

thumbnailsize

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I was a teaching assistant in a primary school before I had Mia and I aim to train as a teacher once she goes to school. I know how hard teachers work, first hand, so hats off to you for doing it, bringing up a family, and blogging! :)

    #justanotherlinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doing amazing!! Look forward to your post. Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky x

    ReplyDelete